Times have changed! The future is in digital technology. A part of us is always excited about the convenience of transacting online but the fear of falling victim of identity theft always scares us. How can we securely transact digitally?
Family Bank prides itself of being the first bank in Kenya to introduce paperless banking through smart card technology that enables customers to transact without having to fill in deposit or withdrawal slips. In 2010, Family Bank became the first to introduce mobile banking and in 2016 to launch mVisa services in Kenya. We take pride in guarding our customer’s online transactions with the latest technology and undertake stringent measures to ensure our clients’ information is secure whether you choose to bank with us at the branches, ATMs, PesaPap mobile application or through the internet.
As a bank, we DO NOT send e-mails asking you to provide, update or verify personal or account information such as passwords, Identification Numbers, PINs, credit or debit card numbers, or other confidential information. As a Bank, we have done the following to secure your account:
- Secure sign-in- At a minimum, you will always have to enter one’s user ID and passwords to access your accounts
- Fraud detection- We constantly monitor your account to detect any unusual behaviour and immediately contact a customer to verify the transaction through our anti-money laundering system.
- Suspend account- We temporarily disable an account after encountering suspicious behaviours.
A customer can also maximise the security of their online and mobile transactions and guard yourself against identity theft by adopting safe online and mobile practices. Here are some pointers to ensure that you can safely and securely transact online.
- It is advisable to use one card for all your online purchases. This will give one ease of tracking transactions. It is also advisable to have two separate accounts for income and for expenditure purposes.
- Never give out passwords or user ID information whether on text, e-mail or phone call. It is also advisable not to auto save passwords on your browser for online transactions.
- Always check your e-mail or SMS after every online purchase. The bank always sends a confirmation message for every online purchase. If the transaction was not done by you, one should immediately contact the bank to block the card.
- Always confirm URL before clicking the link. Watch out for any anomalies or e-mail scams. For example, familybank.co.ke is the official website for Family Bank. www.family-bank.co.ke is a suspicious link.
- Always log out. Never leave open bank application pages on your website or on your mobile phone.
- Limit how much of your personal information is available on your social networks.
- Always use strong passwords and never use obvious passwords such as your name or birthdate.
- Always use a secure connection while on your browser. Https:// is secure unlike Http://
- Always report incidences of theft to your bank immediately.
Our customer care agents are always available 24-7 to assist our customers and ensure they have an enjoyable online experience.
Next time you transact online; remember you control your account. Take charge!